Monday, May 25, 2009

Promises

This past week in Experiencing God, one of the assignments was to specifically set aside part of the day, at least 30 minutes, and go on a walk or do something outside of your normal routine to get away from everything and just spend some time focusing on God and His love, and see what He had to say to my heart. And this is what He brought to mind:

Several years ago, I decided that God had called me to go on a mission trip to Ecuador over the summer. I only had a matter of months to get the money, and my parents, out of love, basically flat out told me that I’d never get all the money in time, and I should just plan on going the following summer so that I’d have a year to save. I brought my frustrations to the director of this particular missions organization, and he told me that he was often frustrated with parents who said these things to their children - whether it was about money or not thinking it safe for their kid to leave the country or whatever. He targeted his frustration on one key point – what are you teaching your kids about God by giving those excuses? Without words, and probably without even realizing it, those parents are saying to their children that God is not big enough to provide the means for them to go or that God is not strong enough to watch over them and keep them safe. With this in mind, I proceeded to pick out a few key verses from Scripture and claim those promises from God every single day, believing that He would provide if it were His will. And He did.

That being said, I have some pretty major decisions to make in my life, and a very short amount of time to make them in. And, honestly, there’s a lot of emotion and confusion tied up in them for various reasons. There’s a lot I don’t understand right now, but it’s become clear to me that there’s one thing I must do, and that is to claim His promises. No matter the time in history or what my circumstances are, His promises never ever change, and I have to stand on that now more than ever. I may not be able to even see my own hand in front of my face, but I have to trust that His heart is good, that His promises are true, and that my God is big enough. And the rest is out of my hands.

MY COMFORT IN MY SUFFERING IS THIS:
YOUR PROMISE PRESERVES MY LIFE.

Psalm 119:50

The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know Your name will trust in You, for You, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek You.
Psalm 9:9-10

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9

My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.
2 Corinthians 12:9


Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Philippians 1:6

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Jeremiah 29:11

You will seek Me and find Me when you when you seek Me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29:13

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.
Psalm 37:4

For He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.
Psalm 107:9

In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:6

“I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.”
Exodus 33:17

The Lord is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all He has made.
Psalm 145:13

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I love this =) Very encouraging!!

I see your FB is gone! =( That makes me sad.