Tuesday, March 24, 2009

We were meant to LIVE

Did you ever wonder what it would be like
If you weren't you anymore?
If you were suddenly gone,
How would your world react?
Whatever you imagined is wrong.
There's nothing romantic about death.
Grief is like the ocean;
It's deep and dark, 
And bigger than all of us,
And pain is like a thief in the night.
Quiet. Persistent. Unfair.
Diminished by time and faith and love.


I read a news article today about a small plane crash over the weekend, killing all 14 people on board - 7 of them children, ages 1-9. Though I have no connection to any of these individuals, stories like this tear at my heart. I know it's a tragedy that ALL of these people lost their lives, but some part of me aches stronger for the children. I know it's not a reality, but I just would like to think that everyone should have the opportunity to live a long life - to have their first kiss, graduate high school or college, to fall in love, get married, have kids - to simply chase their dreams, whatever they may be. I'm certain this chord resonates so strongly with me due to the loss of my own brother at such a young age; I sometimes still think about what his life "should be like" right now - who he'd be friends with, who I'd like for him to be dating, where he'd be going to school. I wonder if he would have his life more figured out than I do, and wish I had him around to talk to about all of these things. But even having experienced all of this, I cannot even begin to fathom the intense pain and loss it would be to lose an entire family in a moment's notice. For those parents who, because of this solitary moment, have lost a son or daughter and all of their grandchildren, or siblings who lost a brother or sister and their nieces and nephews, my mind can only begin to imagine the searing loss they must be experiencing at this moment. I know what it's like to lose one so suddenly, but to lose so many? And all at once? I wouldn't even know how to begin to deal with this, and I pray to God I never have to. Things like this remind me how insignificantly trivial all the petty problems in my life are. My heart truly goes out to those affected by this. May they find Comfort, and may we realize that our days are numbered and learn to truly live each and every one of them.

Confronted with a tragedy that seems so senseless,
We are compelled to make some positive reply,
To say that if the young and brave die early,
Then those of us who remain must help others to live a meaningful life
.


3 comments:

KB The One And Only said...

so sad!

who are the people in that picture?

Kristin said...

The Jacobsons, I think is their name. They were one of the families on the plane. :'(

KB The One And Only said...

shoot. thats horrible.despomi