Saturday, February 28, 2009

Hear that? That's just the fresh sounds of Superchic[k] goin' through your stereo!

As I'm learning to live with a very limited supply of music, I've rediscovered some "oldies" in my CD collection. Looking back on my life, I'd have to say that probably no band has influenced my life as much as Superchic[k]. And I realize how totally cool that makes me sound, but I don't really care. Fact is that pretty much every one of their songs has a specific meaning to me, and that listening to their music takes me right back to those exact times. I don't think I'll ever outgrow it. I remember the very first time I ever heard them - at the Maybee Center in 8th grade for some conference (YEC?). "Big Star Machine" was recorded live for their first album there, and I swear I can hear myself screaming every time I listen to that track. I remember exactly what Tricia (lead singer) was wearing - red pants, sliver shirt with black three-quarter sleeves. I seriously searched the stores everywhere after that for a pair of red pants. And if only my hair could rock a fro like that.... I'd have it made. I remember Tara Matlock was there as a sponsor, and she told me she was going to buy me an outfit just like that. She never did, for the record. But I would have worn it! I think this was the same weekend Jennifer & Cory met.

I remember when Shawn got them to come to Southwood for Youthquake to do a concert. I was on the very front up by the stage, and Tricia put the microphone in front of my face during a song, and I got so excited I screamed into it! I remember that Rosie went to pick them up and drove them to the airport in the middle of the night. She picked me up on the way just so I could be in the same car as them. I sat in the back and didn't say a word. I was too star-struck. But I've been in the same car with Superchic[k]!!

I remember the next time they came to Tulsa after that and did a concert at the Brady Theatre. Matt was out by the booth and remembered us and called us his friends! I also remember seeing these girls there that made homemade Superchic[k] shirts. That was the beginning of my tshirt making fetish. I also later went to college with one of those girls, and about a year after knowing her, discovered that she was one of the girls I saw at the concert with a homemade Superchic[k] shirt. Small world.

My senior year of high school I had the lyrics to "Princes & Frogs" (the FULL version) on the outside of my binder. This guy read it, thought I wrote it, and loved it! Then he found out it was by a band called Superchic[k]. Nevermind...

I wrote a paper about them. I almost sang one of their songs at school for chapel. I even dressed up like them for Halloween (complete with pink spiky hair and a short plaid skirt!) with Amanda Barfield.

As you can see, this isn't just 'another band' to me. Their lyrics and lives helped shape me into the person I am now. I truly believe I wouldn't be the person I am today without them.


Some people give themselves a brick, I know most people do.
When we compare, we fall short somewhere, it's always true.
If all we see is where we fall, we've bricked a prison wall.
Instead of trying to learn to fly, we've taught ourselves to crawl.

So tell me, what do I do with this backpack full of bricks,
Of sticks and stones and words that stuck to me like ticks?

Let it go, let it be.
Brick by brick we can be free
Of all the words we say til we were our own enemies.
Let it go, let it be
Brick by brick we can believe

In the person God intended us to be.
Let it be.

No comments: