Tuesday, February 24, 2009

When the Morning Falls

I'm not much of a morning person, to say the least. Although, I must confess, it is one of the things on my 'bucket list' (that I made BEFORE the movie, for the record). I like the idea of waking up and enjoying the beautiful sunrise, and the feeling of having another chance to start over - it's just the practicality of it that gets me. I mean, why can't the sun rise at, say, 10am? Seriously, God, what were you thinking?? Just kidding.

Anyway, despite my disagreement with mornings, I do enjoy the fact that most days I wake up with a completely random song in my head. It's usually not something I've been listening to or even something I've heard anytime recently, but it's on my memory as though I have. And often times, in some small way, that song, placed in my head before the day began, ends up helping me get through the day. Call me overly sentimental, but I think it's pretty cool.


I say all this because just the other day, a song popped into my head that I don't think I've head in about four years. We used to sing it in choir in high school. It's called "I Will Praise Him, Still" by Fernando Ortega. As I sang the lyrics, I began to think about their meaning, and I realized something: I'm not always going to feel like praising God, but because He is worthy, I must and I will, despite my circumstances. Pretty obvious, I know. But I have to relearn the obvious lessons, a lot.


When the morning falls
On the farthest hill,

I will sing His name,
I will praise Him, still.

When dark trials come
And my heart is filled
With the weight of doubt,
I will praise Him, still.

For the Lord, our God,
He is strong to save
From the arms of death,
From the deepest grave!

And He gave us life
In His perfect will,
And by His good grace
I will praise Him, still.

No comments: